The Judges believe that we all owe the Hawarden Waikari Lions Club a very big vote of thanks. This group of local volunteers and heritage advocates chose the restoration of the only remaining timber fire lookout tower and building as their local community project. The Balmoral Fire Lookout has sat atop a rocky bluff for 75 years. It was built in 1940 as part of the gazettal of the Balmoral Forest but sadly had been unoccupied and in a state of disrepair for some 35 years. It is a fantastic example of collaborative community efforts, led by the Hawarden Waikari Lions Club, to restore and interpret heritage enabling the public to enjoy the history of forest fire protection, and the majestic views afforded from the site.